NATURAL SCIENCE AND BIOTECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT
Mr Churchill Egbregba
Director of Natural Sciences and Biotechnology
DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL SCIENCE AND BIOTECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT
The Department was created along with other five new departments vide the 19th meeting of 2015 State Executive Council held on 29th September 2015.
Mandates of the Department of Natural and Biotechnology Development
- Conducting research and maintaining an up-to-date compendium of microbiological, immunological, immunobiological analytical methods;
- Developing and promoting the documentation of laboratory equipment for planning and development;
- Ensuring the monitoring, inspection, accreditation and certification of laboratories in R&D institutions in both public and private sectors by relevant regulatory bodies;
- Facilitating brand recognition for Nigerian biotechnology products and benchmark progress;
- Promoting the documentation and use of bio-genetic resources and eliminate bio-piracy;
- Harnessing indigenous knowledge on natural products and commercializing discoveries as well as positioning Nigeria in the bio-genetic market;
- Promoting the understanding of Biotechnology and its applications for development in the State;
- Using Bioinformatics, an interdisciplinary field of science (computer science and engineering) to analyse and interpret biological data I.e. the biological study that uses computer programming as a reference to specific analysis particularly in the fields of genetics, genomics and organisational principles within nucleic acids and proteins. Common uses of bioinformatics include the identification of candidate genes and nucleotide, with the aim of better understanding the genetic basis of disease, unique adaptations, desirable properties (especially in agricultural species), differences between populations. In a less formal way, bioinformatics also tries to understand the sequences;
- Using biotechnology laboratory R&D tool in the exploration, extraction, exploitation and production from any living organisms and any source of biomass through biochemical engineering, where high value-added products could be planned, forecasted, formulated, developed, manufactured and marketed for the purpose of sustainable operations;
- Facilitating the setting of minimum standards for laboratories in secondary, tertiary and ST&I institutions for learning, teaching, services and Research & Development;
- Encouraging R&D in alternative and molecular medicine as well as genomics;
- Strengthening demand-driven R&D in natural and orthodox medicines as well as pharmaceutical research;
- Developing standards for monitoring and evaluation of health products;
- Promoting documentation and dissemination of natural health research;
- Adapting and promoting the principles of Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) in conformity with international best practices;
- Fostering training and employment of certified science technologist for proper management and maintenance of laboratories;
- Natural Medicine Development in collaboration with the Nigerian Natural Medicine Development Agency (NNMDA) of the FMST;
- Establishment of Science and Technology Research and Coordination Division in Delta State;
- Development of R&D in agricultural plants and animals.
Proposed Activities of the Department
- Establishment of Tissue Culture Centre in Asaba for the multiplication of Agricultural products.
- Establishment of power Technology Centre in the State
- Training of the Staff of the Department on the management of biotechnology laboratories.
- Supervision of laboratories to ensure best practice.